Buy Nootropics in the Netherlands | The #1 A-Z Guide
Curious about buying nootropics in the Netherlands? You‘ve come to just the right place.
In this A-Z guide, you’ll learn everything you need to know about buying nootropics in the Netherlands and gain a complete overview of the country’s smart drugs scene.
Our aim for this guide is to show you the best nootropics to buy, the best places to buy them from, the benefits and side-effects, the legalities, and everything in between.
Fortunately, buying nootropics in the Netherlands is pretty simple these days; you don’t even need a prescription. Alongside numerous prescription medications, several highly effective over-the-counter nootropics are available that boost cognition, improve memory, and enhance brain function.
This is not medical or legal advice. This guide is strictly for entertainment purposes only. Always consult a medical professional before consuming any nootropic and always abide by the laws of your country. Please read my disclaimer page, too.
What Are Nootropics?
The term ‘nootropics’ was coined by a Romanian chemist and psychologist Dr. Corneliu Giurgea in the mid-1960s, to describe drugs that can change the mind, typically by enhancing cognitive functions such as focus, memory, and attention span.
He was searching for a sleeping aid when he discovered piracetam, the world’s first synthetic brain enhancer, and he wanted to create a word that reflected piracetam’s mind-changing properties.
Dr Giurgea combined the Greek word for mind, ‘Noo’ with the French word for change, ‘trope’, to create the word ‘nootropic’. The purpose of all nootropics is to change the user’s mind, typically by enhancing cognitive functions such as focus, memory, and attention span.
Dr. Giurgea outlined five categories that any substance should fit to be classified as a nootropic, as follows;
- Enhance memory, attention span, concentration, and the ability to learn
- Help the brain function under distress
- Protect the brain from chemical and physical stress
- Increase the efficacy of neuronal firing
- Produce virtually zero side effects and be non-toxic
The term ‘nootropics’ covers a wide range of natural substances and synthetic compounds. Some natural nootropics have been used by humans for thousands of years, such as Ginkgo biloba to boost memory. Other popular natural nootropics include food, red reishi mushrooms, turmeric, creatine, and caffeine, which has been scientifically proven to improve attention span and the retention of information .
The development of synthetic nootropics is much more recent. Some of the most popular prescription-only nootropics include Adderall, Ritalin, Concerta, and Modafinil which have been shown to significantly improve attentiveness, concentration, and alertness .
The latest range of over-the-counter nootropics contain blends of natural nootropics and offer cognitive benefits such as improved focus and increased wakefulness, without side effects or the need for a prescription. We’ll be discussing two of the best legal nootropics in the Netherlands later in this guide.
Nootropics Side Effects and Safety
To understand nootropics side effects and safety, it’s helpful to know that all known nootropics can be placed into one of two categories;
- Dietary supplements
- Pharmaceutical products
Nootropics in the first category – dietary supplements – typically contain a blend of natural nootropics, such as caffeine and Ginkgo biloba, that have been scientifically proven to improve a range of cognitive functions such as mental alertness or concentration.
As dietary supplements, they are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease and can be bought over-the-counter or online without a prescription in the Netherlands.
Dietary supplements generally produce no side-effects in healthy individuals when taken at the recommended dosages. However, if taken in excessive dosages, even common nootropics like caffeine can cause side effects. Caffeine, for example, can cause anxiety, hallucinations, and even dizziness at high dosages .
It’s advisable to ask your doctor before taking any dietary supplement and avoid taking them if you are pregnant or nursing or if you are at risk of a condition like depression, anxiety, or diabetes.
The other category of nootropics is pharmaceutical products, such as Adderall, Ritalin, Concerta, and Modafinil. These nootropics require a doctor’s prescription to buy in the Netherlands. Using these drugs ‘off prescription’ as nootropics can be risky.
For example, Modafinil is widely considered to be a safe drug for treating patients with narcolepsy, but may cause a range of unexpected side-effects when used ‘off-label’ or by patients incorrectly diagnosed with narcolepsy. These side-effects include headaches, nausea, anxiety, insomnia, lumbago, diarrhea, dyspepsia, rhinitis, and vertigo .
Are Nootropics Legal in the Netherlands?
The legal status of any given nootropic depends on whether it is a dietary supplement or a pharmaceutical product.
Dietary supplement nootropics such as caffeine are completely legal and can be purchased over-the-counter or online without a doctor’s prescription throughout the Netherlands.
Pharmaceutical products like Adderall and Modafinil are prescription-only and require a doctor’s prescription to buy and use legally.
That being said, many online vendors routinely ship prescription-only nootropics like Modafinil to customers in the Netherlands. Later on, we’ll explain exactly how to do this.
Top 2 Legal Nootropics in the Netherlands
If you’re looking for powerful nootropics that don’t require a prescription, there are two over-the-counter nootropics that we recommend.
These are Mind Lab Pro and Qualia Mind. These legal nootropics are not only highly effective but they have virtually zero side-effects.
Mind Lab Pro
One of the most powerful over-the-counter nootropics we’ve ever tested is Mind Lab Pro, a blend of eleven research-backed natural nootropics that have been scientifically proven to boost and optimize a wide array of cognitive functions.
Mind Lab Pro helps to:
- Repair, maintain, and nourish brain cells
- Boost mental agility and focus
- Lower fatigue
- Optimize memory and mood,
- Promote alertness and productivity
Of the eleven nootropics in Mind Lab Pro, the three most powerful ones are:
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom (Yamabushitake): Yamabushitake has a significant impact on mild cognitive impairment, according to a double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial .
- Bacopa monnieri: This can improve cognition and decrease choice reaction times, according to multiple randomized controlled trials .
- Citicoline: Citicoline has very strong neuroprotective properties and can prevent slow the advancement of some neurodegenerative disorders .
Citicoline is our go-to choice for an effective natural nootropic, and pairing it with bacopa monnieri makes for a powerful combination that can dramatically increase work performance and productivity. Also, Mind Lab Pro contains premium forms of these nootropics, maximizing their potency, activity, and bioavailability.
We’ve concluded that Mind Lab Pro is one of the best brain-optimizing natural nootropics on the market in the Netherlands right now. It’s great for anyone who wants to improve their focus, multitask effectively and problem-solve under stress.
The second legal nootropic we recommend is Qualia Mind. Produced by Neurohacker Collective, Qualia Mind is a complete brain supplement that has gained a reputation for boosting focus and clarity while increasing energy levels.
Like Mind Lab Pro, Qualia Mind contains both Citicoline and Bacopa monnieri, but it also contains 19 other natural nootropics, such as:
- Phosphatidylserine: This has a strong effect on cognitive activity and helps retain cognitive functioning ability .
- Huperzine A: This has strong neuroprotective properties according to a comprehensive review of preclinical research .
- Ginkgo biloba: Numerous scientific studies have shown that Ginkgo biloba can stabilize or slow the decline of cognitive functions and behaviors, leading to higher mental performance .
As a caffeine-free nootropic, Qualia Mind provides effortless focus without common side-effects like headaches, jitteriness, nausea, or sleeplessness that caffeine-based products commonly cause.
Overall, it’s one of the best over-the-counter nootropics for increasing creativity and maximizing productivity.
The World’s Best Nootropic…
Modafinil, which was discovered in 1974 by the French drug company L. Lafon Ltd, is an extremely powerful ‘wakefulness’ agent that has been widely prescribed to narcolepsy sufferers in France since the early 1990s.
After being introduced to the Netherlands in the mid-1990s, Modafinil quickly gained a reputation among entrepreneurs and college students for its cognitive enhancement properties. It enabled users to work late through the night and gain an edge over their competition.
So, what does Modafinil feel like when you take it?
Modafinil’s effect is very gradual like the early stages of a come up until everything suddenly becomes very clear and your focus becomes laser-sharp. You gain the ability to work non-stop without feeling fatigued. The drug prevents your mind from wandering and virtually all urges to procrastinate are suppressed.
Modafinil has been shown to significantly improve functions in several cognitive domains including working memory and episodic memory . It’s also a powerful appetite suppressant that greatly enhances productivity for over 12 hours, making it the ideal nootropic for pulling all-nighters.
In short, Modafinil is the best nootropic for cognitive neuroenhancement bar none. Nothing else even comes close.
Is Modafinil Legal in the Netherlands?
Modafinil is a controlled substance under Dutch law, meaning that you need a doctor’s prescription to buy and use it legally.
Fortunately, it is possible to buy generic Modafinil from an online pharmacy without much hassle, even without a prescription, and have it shipped to your address in the Netherlands.
Ordering Modafinil online without a prescription is technically illegal. However, we’ve yet to hear about anyone having any legitimate legal issues importing Modafinil into the Netherlands for personal use.
This means that shipments containing up the three-months supply (around 100 tablets) usually get through just fine.
If you buy Modafinil from one of our recommended vendors you shouldn’t have any problems, but if you want to be on the safe side, you can use a mail forwarding service.
This is where you pay a company to receive your order and then forward the package to you. As the shipment isn’t being sent directly to your address, this method lowers the risk of the package being intercepted by Dutch customs.
This method is so effective that the vendors on our list offer a 100-percent money-back guarantee on all Modafinil shipments using this method. Either you get your nootropic delivered or you get your money back or a free reshipment. It’s your choice.
Basically, you have no risk.
But again, this isn’t legal advice and we always advise you to abide by Dutch laws.
The Top “Social” Nootropic
The top “social” nootropic in the Netherlands right now is undoubtedly…Phenibut.
It isn’t approved for medical use here, but it is approved for use in Russia, Ukraine, and Latvia where it is used to treat anxiety, insomnia, depression, and similar conditions .
As an analog of Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), Phenibut is a powerful neurotransmitter chemical that blocks impulses sent to the brain through nerve cells. It’s widely used to help people cope with emotional states such as stress and social anxiety by preventing these emotions from having an impact on the brain.
Phenibut has become extremely popular as a social nootropic because it helps create a calming effect on the mind, leading to it being dubbed ‘the happy pill’. It gives users a warm, happy ‘buzz’ similar to alcohol and lowers inhibitions while increasing social confidence.
Phenibut is one of the best nootropics for overcoming social anxiety as it makes users so much more willing to interact with others.
As an alcohol-alternative, Phenibut has become sought-after by fitness enthusiasts and bodybuilders who want to have a good time without consuming the calories and excess simple sugars often found in alcoholic drinks. Using Phenibut lets them avoid phytoestrogen and prolactin — two chemicals commonly found in beer, wine, and some spirits that can increase estrogen levels, and decrease testosterone. It also helps them avoid ethanol, which lowers testosterone function and inhibits testosterone synthesis .
As a nootropic, Phenibut also offers a range of cognitive benefits, too. It can help combat tiredness and boost attention span, which increases productivity. It also relieves stress, which helps the mind focus, and has been shown to improve memory, enhance problem-solving ability, and increase verbal fluency .
Here’s how to take Phenibut properly.
One little-known benefit of Phenibut is that it’s also extremely helpful for people who are looking to increase their sex drive. A common reason for low libido is high levels of stress and anxiety, both of which Phenibut can help lower or remove. Taking Phenibut helps people reclaim their natural sex drive and many Phenibut users report a dramatic increase in their libido.
Unfortunately, Phenibut has many documented side effects including fatigue, nausea, dizziness, and stomach cramps. There are documented cases of patients becoming dependent on Phenibut and experiencing withdrawal symptoms . This strongly suggests that users should monitor their dosages and tolerance levels carefully at all times.
Is Phenibut Legal in the Netherlands?
At the time of writing, Phenibut is 100 percent legal to buy and own throughout the Netherlands.
As it is not approved for medical use in the Netherlands, no prescription is required to buy it over-the-counter or online, where it is widely available.
Learn more about Phenibut legalities.
Nootropics Netherlands | Verdict
If you were curious about nootropics in the Netherlands, hopefully, this guide answered all your questions.
From the benefits to the side-effects to the legalities, this entertaining guide has covered it all.
Many citizens and expats alike have improved their life in Holland by properly using nootropics. You can too! Just follow the advice laid out in this guide.
Oh, and don’t forget to click here to buy Modafinil from our favorite online vendors for Dutch citizens and people living in the Netherlands!
- Nehlig A, Daval JL, Debry G. Caffeine and the central nervous system: mechanisms of action, biochemical, metabolic and psychostimulant effects. Brain Res Brain Res Rev. 1992;17(2):139-170. doi:10.1016/0165-0173(92)90012-b
- Iglseder B. Doping für das Gehirn [Doping for the brain]. Z Gerontol Geriatr. 2018;51(2):143-148. doi:10.1007/s00391-017-1351-y
- Wikoff D, Welsh BT, Henderson R, et al. Systematic review of the potential adverse effects of caffeine consumption in healthy adults, pregnant women, adolescents, and children. Food Chem Toxicol. 2017;109(Pt 1):585-648. doi:10.1016/j.fct.2017.04.002
- Lopes E, Pereira D, da Silva Behrens NS, et al. Cataplexy as a side effect of modafinil in a patient without narcolepsy. Sleep Sci. 2014;7(1):47-49. doi:10.1016/j.slsci.2014.07.015
- Mori K, Inatomi S, Ouchi K, Azumi Y, Tuchida T. Improving effects of the mushroom Yamabushitake (Hericium erinaceus) on mild cognitive impairment: a double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. Phytother Res. 2009;23(3):367-372. doi:10.1002/ptr.2634
- Kongkeaw C, Dilokthornsakul P, Thanarangsarit P, Limpeanchob N, Norman Scholfield C. Meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials on cognitive effects of Bacopa monnieri extract. J Ethnopharmacol. 2014;151(1):528-535. doi:10.1016/j.jep.2013.11.008
- Grieb P. Neuroprotective properties of citicoline: facts, doubts and unresolved issues. CNS Drugs. 2014;28(3):185-193. doi:10.1007/s40263-014-0144-8
- Glade MJ, Smith K. Phosphatidylserine and the human brain. Nutrition. 2015;31(6):781-786. doi:10.1016/j.nut.2014.10.014
- Damar U, Gersner R, Johnstone JT, Schachter S, Rotenberg A. Huperzine A as a neuroprotective and antiepileptic drug: a review of preclinical research. Expert Rev Neurother. 2016;16(6):671-680. doi:10.1080/14737175.2016.1175303
- Tan MS, Yu JT, Tan CC, et al. Efficacy and adverse effects of ginkgo biloba for cognitive impairment and dementia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Alzheimers Dis. 2015;43(2):589-603. doi:10.3233/JAD-140837
- Battleday RM, Brem AK. Modafinil for cognitive neuroenhancement in healthy non-sleep-deprived subjects: A systematic review. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2015;25(11):1865-1881. doi:10.1016/j.euroneuro.2015.07.028
- Minzenberg MJ, Carter CS. Modafinil: a review of neurochemical actions and effects on cognition. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008;33(7):1477-1502. doi:10.1038/sj.npp.1301534
- Lapin I. Phenibut (beta-phenyl-GABA): a tranquilizer and nootropic drug. CNS Drug Rev. 2001;7(4):471-481. doi:10.1111/j.1527-3458.2001.tb00211.x
- Widenius TV, Eriksson CJ, Ylikahri RH, Härkönen M. Inhibition of testosterone synthesis by ethanol: role of luteinizing hormone. Alcohol. 1989;6(3):241-244. doi:10.1016/0741-8329(89)90025-6
- Owen DR, Wood DM, Archer JR, Dargan PI. Phenibut (4-amino-3-phenyl-butyric acid): Availability, prevalence of use, desired effects and acute toxicity. Drug Alcohol Rev. 2016;35(5):591-596. doi:10.1111/dar.12356
- Ahuja T, Mgbako O, Katzman C, Grossman A. Phenibut (β-Phenyl-γ-aminobutyric Acid) Dependence and Management of Withdrawal: Emerging Nootropics of Abuse. Case Rep Psychiatry. 2018;2018:9864285. Published 2018 Apr 30. doi:10.1155/2018/9864285