Buy Nootropics in Mexico | The #1 A-Z Guide
Curious about buying nootropics in Mexico?
You’ve come to just the right place.
In this guide, we’ll explain everything you need to know about buying nootropics south of the border. We’ll show you the best nootropics to buy, the best places to source them from, and how to get them for the best prices.
Fortunately, buying nootropics in Mexico is pretty straightforward these days, but you still need to know what to look out for and what to avoid.
This is not medical or legal advice. This guide is strictly for entertainment purposes only. Always consult a medical professional before consuming any nootropic and always abide by the laws of your country. Please read my disclaimer page, too.
What are Nootropics?
Nootropics are natural or synthetic substances that can enhance cognitive functions like information processing, memory, and attention span while protecting the brain.
They are used by healthy individuals to improve cognition and also to treat cognition deficits in patients suffering from a range of conditions such as aging, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and Alzheimer’s disease.
The term ‘nootropics’ was coined in 1972 by Dr. Corneliu Giurgea, the Romanian psychologist and chemist who discovered piracetam. After observing piracetam’s memory-enhancing properties in clinical trials, Dr. Giurgea combined the Greek words ‘nous’ (mind), and ‘trepein’, (to bend) to form the new word ‘nootropic’ .
According to Dr. Giurgea, any substance that can enhance cognitive functions may be labeled a nootropic, providing it fits the following five key criteria:
- Enhance memory, attention span, concentration, and the ability to learn
- Help the brain function under distress
- Protect the brain from chemical and physical stress
- Increase the efficacy of neuronal firing
- Produce virtually zero side effects and be non-toxic
Natural nootropics are typically made from plants or plant extracts, amino acids, or other nutrients sourced from nature. They offer benefits such as faster thinking, increased energy, and reduced anxiety.
Some of the most popular natural nootropics include
- Ginkgo biloba
- Red reishi mushrooms
These natural nootropics have been widely researched and shown to offer numerous cognitive benefits. Caffeine, for example, has been shown to improve attention span and information retention , while Creatine – an amino acid naturally produced in the liver, kidneys, and pancreas – has been shown to facilitate cognition on some tasks .
To meet the growing demand for safe, effective nootropics, many dietary supplement companies have developed nootropic ‘stacks’ that combine several natural nootropics. These over-the-counter supplements help improve memory, focus, and alertness, without side effects or the need for a prescription.
The other types of nootropics are synthetic substances and pharmaceutical products like piracetam and Modafinil. Many of these substances are prescription-only in most countries and are used to treat people with specific medical conditions. However, they have become popular as nootropics for their ‘off prescription’ cognitive benefits such as increased focus and energy.
The most popular synthetic nootropics include:
These compounds exhibit cognition-enhancing properties such as increased alertness and concentration while possessing very low toxicity and no serious side effects .
Nootropics Side Effects and Safety
The side effects and safety of any given nootropic depends on whether it is a natural nootropic, like a dietary supplement, or a synthetic nootropic, like a pharmaceutical product.
Natural nootropics can be sold as dietary supplements as they are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease and generally produce no side effects. They typically contain one, or a combination of, natural substances like plant extracts that have been scientifically proven to improve one or several cognitive functions including memory, alertness, and concentration.
Although dietary supplements generally produce no side-effects in healthy individuals when taken at the advised dosages, some natural nootropics can cause side effects when taken in excessive dosages. Caffeine, for instance, can cause anxiety, hallucinations, and dizziness in high dosages .
Therefore, you shouldn’t take these products if you are pregnant or nursing or if you are at risk of conditions like diabetes, depression, anxiety, or psychiatric disorders.
The side effects and safety of synthetic nootropics such as Piracetam, Aniracetam, and Modafinil vary from one compound to the next. Most racetams possess very low toxicity and produce no serious side effects. But prescription drugs like Modafinil require a doctor’s prescription to and should only be used under doctor’s supervision.
Using these drugs as nootropics for their ‘off label’ benefits without a doctor’s supervision can be risky. Their side effects in healthy individuals haven’t been researched and remain largely unknown.
Modafinil, for example, is considered to be a very safe drug for treating narcolepsy but can cause a range of side-effects including headaches, nausea, anxiety, insomnia, lumbago, diarrhea, dyspepsia, rhinitis, and vertigo when used in patients incorrectly diagnosed with narcolepsy .
While some Mexican pharmacies routinely sell these drugs without a prescription, an additional safety concern is that you may not get what you paid for, and it may not be safe. Buying a fake or counterfeit product is a real possibility and may cause additional side-effects. There are also plenty of rogue operators in the world of online pharmacies.
Are Nootropics Legal in Mexico?
In Mexico, the legal status of any given nootropic depends on whether it is a natural nootropic, like a dietary supplement, or a synthetic substance, like a pharmaceutical product.
Natural nootropics are completely legal and can be purchased over-the-counter or online in Mexico without a doctor’s prescription.
Pharmaceutical nootropics, like Modafinil, are technically prescription-only in Mexico. However, many pharmacies in the tourist areas of border towns like Tijuana will sell these drugs to customers without a prescription.
Some pharmacies will ask for a prescription and then send you to a doctor’s office next door, who will charge you around $10 and give you a script.
Possessing nootropics is legal in Mexico provided they are for personal use. You’ll have no problems buying up to three-months’ worth of nootropics from our recommended vendor.
They guarantee shipments to Mexico and offer a free reshipment or a full refund in the highly unlikely event that your order doesn’t get through.
Top 2 Legal Nootropics in Mexico
While prescription nootropics are freely available in some parts of Mexico, not everyone is comfortable with the side-effects or with using drugs ‘off label’ without a doctor’s supervision.
We get that, which is why we started researching the best over-the-counter nootropics that offer potent cognitive advantages without any side effects or the need for a prescription.
The two legal nootropics we recommend are:
Mind Lab Pro is the most powerful legal nootropics we’ve ever reviewed and is our top pick for anyone looking for a safe, over-the-counter nootropic in Mexico!
When we tested it, we noticed an instant boost in our alertness and productivity and found we were able to blast through work without feeling fatigued.
So what’s its secret?
Mind Lab Pro combines eleven natural nootropics that have been scientifically proven to dramatically improve cognitive performance. One of the most powerful ingredients is Lion’s Mane Mushroom, or Yamabushitake, which has been shown to significantly improve mild cognitive impairment .
Mind Lab Pro also contains both Citicoline and Bacopa monnieri. This combination is our go-to choice for a natural nootropic stack. Citicoline has been shown to have strong neuroprotective properties and is beneficial in slowing the advance of some neurodegenerative disorders , while Bacopa monnieri has been shown to improve cognition and decrease choice reaction times .
Overall, Mind Lab Pro is great for boosting memory, attention span, and motivation because it contains premium forms of well-research nootropics that have an extremely high potency, activity, and bioavailability.
As it’s completely natural, it’s very sustainable and consistently reliable, making it a great year-round nootropic for anyone interested in improving their cognitive function.
In short, if you want to light yourself up like a Christmas tree, Mind Lab Pro will give your cognitive and mental state an enormous boost!
The second legal nootropic we recommend is Qualia Mind by Neurohacker Collective. It’s a complete brain supplement that we’ve found to give a huge boost to our focus and clarity while increasing energy levels.
Qualia Mind contains premium forms of both Citicoline and Bacopa Monnieri as well as 19 other powerful nootropics, such as Ginkgo biloba, which helps stabilize and slow the decline of some cognition functions and behaviors, leading to higher mental performance . It also contains Huperzine A, which has strong neuroprotective properties , and Phosphatidylserine, which helps retain cognitive functioning ability .
Unlike other natural nootropics that contain high doses of caffeine, Qualia Mind is completely caffeine-free. We’ve found it gives us long-lasting energy without the common side-effects like headaches, jitteriness, nausea, or sleeplessness that caffeine-based nootropics often cause.
Qualia Mind is one of the safest and most effective natural nootropics for maximizing productivity we’ve ever reviewed.
The World’s Best Nootropic…
The world’s best nootropic is Modafinil, a powerful ‘eugeroic’ (meaning ‘wakefulness-agent’) that has been successfully used to treat patients with sleeping disorders such as narcolepsy since the early 1990s.
Following its release, Modafinil quickly gained a reputation for its ‘off-label’ benefits such as increased attentiveness, concentration, and alertness . Stressed-out students and busy professionals alike starting using Modafinil to boost their productivity and improve their learning and working memory .
Modafinil also binds to the dopamine transporter and inhibits the reuptake of dopamine . This increases the amount of dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine in the prefrontal cortex, enhancing the efficiency of information processing while improving executive function and working memory.
Modafinil gives users a laser-sharp focus and the ability to work non-stop without feeling fatigued for over 12 hours. Any urge to procrastinate is greatly suppressed, as is appetite, which gives users a massive productivity boost.
Modafinil is the best nootropic for pulling ‘all-nighters’ as it significantly improves functions in several cognitive domains including working memory and episodic memory .
In short, Modafinil is the world’s best nootropic for cognitive neuroenhancement for one simple reason: it lets you accomplish far more than you would otherwise be able to.
Is Modafinil Legal in Mexico?
You need a prescription to buy Modafinil from a pharmacy in Mexico, where it is sold under the brand name ‘Modiodal’ and is known as ‘Modafinilo’.
Modiodal isn’t commonly available in Mexican pharmacies and is mostly stocked by pharmacies in the tourist areas of border towns like Tijuana who are used to catering to foreigners.
Some pharmacies will sell Modaidal to customers without a prescription but some pharmacies will ask for a prescription. In practice, this means that they’ll simply direct you to a doctor’s office nearby, where you’ll be charged around $10 for a prescription.
You can expect to pay between 350 and 400 Pesos (USD$15.7 – $17.9) for a pack of seven 200mg Modiodal tablets in Mexico. However, at $2.2 – $2.5 per pill, you are paying ‘tourist’ prices and always run the risk of unwittingly buying a counterfeit product.
That’s why many people opt for the cost-effective alternative of buying Modafinil from an online pharmacy instead. If you buy Modafinil from our recommended vendor you’re guaranteed to get legit Modafinil and your shipment is 100% guaranteed. This means that you get your Modafinil or you get a free reshipment or a refund; your choice.
We’ve yet to hear about anyone having any legitimate legal issues importing Modafinil into Mexico for personal use.
Basically, you have no risk.
But again, this isn’t legal advice and we always encourage you to abide by Mexican laws.
Top “Social” Nootropic
If you suffer from anxiety, Modafinil is a pretty great nootropic. It reduces reactivity to fear stimuli in the amygdala, the brain region involved in anxiety , and lets you think more clearly even if you’re stressed or worried.
But what if we told you there is a nootropic that’s even more effective?
It’s called Phenibut and it’s undoubtedly the top social nootropic in Mexico right now.
Phenibut creates an extremely calming effect on the mind, similar to alcohol. It’s so effective at boosting confidence and lowering inhibitions that it’s earned itself the nickname ‘the happy pill’. Phenibut gives you a nice, warm, ‘buzz’, and is ideal for reducing social anxiety.
So, what is Phenibut? It was first synthesized in Russia in the 1960s and has been used there (and in Ukraine and Latvia) to treat anxiety, insomnia, depression, and similar conditions ever since . Phenibut is an analog of GABA that works by blocking impulses sent to the brain through nerve cells. This makes you much more willing to interact with others, making it the perfect social nootropic for people who want to cope with emotional states like social anxiety.
Phenibut is also perfect for teetotallers or anyone who wants to avoid alcohol for health or religious reasons. It gets you out of your mind without getting drunk and has become extremely popular with fitness enthusiasts and bodybuilders who want to go out socially without having to deal with the harmful side-effects of drinking.
Phenibut also offers a range of cognitive benefits including improved memory, enhanced problem-solving ability, and better verbal fluency . It helps combat tiredness and can increase productivity by boosting alertness and attention span. Phenibut is a great nootropic for relieving stress, and this can improve critical thinking skills by letting the mind focus on the task at hand.
An added benefit is that Phenibut can boost sex drive, especially in people who’s natural sex drive is being suppressed by stress and anxiety. Phenibut lowers these mental states and helps users reclaim their natural sex drive.
Some of Phenibut’s documented side effects include fatigue, nausea, dizziness, and stomach cramps.
There are also reports of patients becoming dependent on and addicted to Phenibut and experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms when they cease use .
We recommend limiting Phenibut intake to less than 500mg for the initial dose and never more than 1,000mg for a single dose.
Never abuse Phenibut by consuming it daily or in excessive quantities. Avoid using it more than two days per week or taking more than 4,000mg total within a fortnight.
Always monitor your dosage carefully and adjust according to your tolerance levels.
Is Phenibut Legal in Mexico?
There are no restrictions on the use or sale of Phenibut in Mexico, meaning that it is 100 percent legal to buy and own.
Our recommended vendor offers discreet, fast shipping to Mexico at the best prices.
This is a product you will have to order online. You won’t find Phenibut in stores or at pharmacies in Mexico.
Nootropics Mexico | Verdict
If you were curious about buying nootropics in Mexico, hopefully, this guide has answered all your questions.
From the benefits to costs, side-effects, and legalities, we’ve covered it all in this “A-Z” guide.
For Mexicans and expats looking to get ahead, nootropics can and will help.
- Giurgea C. Vers une pharmacologie de l’activité intégrative du cerveau. Tentative du concept nootrope en psychopharmacologie [Pharmacology of integrative activity of the brain. Attempt at nootropic concept in psychopharmacology]. Actual Pharmacol (Paris). 1972;25:115-156.
- Nehlig A, Daval JL, Debry G. Caffeine and the central nervous system: mechanisms of action, biochemical, metabolic and psychostimulant effects. Brain Res Brain Res Rev. 1992;17(2):139-170. doi:10.1016/0165-0173(92)90012-b
- Ling J, Kritikos M, Tiplady B. Cognitive effects of creatine ethyl ester supplementation. Behav Pharmacol. 2009;20(8):673-679. doi:10.1097/FBP.0b013e3283323c2a
- Gouliaev AH, Senning A. Piracetam and other structurally related nootropics. Brain Res Brain Res Rev. 1994;19(2):180-222. doi:10.1016/0165-0173(94)90011-6
- Wikoff D, Welsh BT, Henderson R, et al. Systematic review of the potential adverse effects of caffeine consumption in healthy adults, pregnant women, adolescents, and children. Food Chem Toxicol. 2017;109(Pt 1):585-648. doi:10.1016/j.fct.2017.04.002
- Lopes E, Pereira D, da Silva Behrens NS, et al. Cataplexy as a side effect of modafinil in a patient without narcolepsy. Sleep Sci. 2014;7(1):47-49. doi:10.1016/j.slsci.2014.07.015
- Mori K, Inatomi S, Ouchi K, Azumi Y, Tuchida T. Improving effects of the mushroom Yamabushitake (Hericium erinaceus) on mild cognitive impairment: a double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. Phytother Res. 2009;23(3):367-372. doi:10.1002/ptr.2634
- Grieb P. Neuroprotective properties of citicoline: facts, doubts and unresolved issues. CNS Drugs. 2014;28(3):185-193. doi:10.1007/s40263-014-0144-8
- Kongkeaw C, Dilokthornsakul P, Thanarangsarit P, Limpeanchob N, Norman Scholfield C. Meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials on cognitive effects of Bacopa monnieri extract. J Ethnopharmacol. 2014;151(1):528-535. doi:10.1016/j.jep.2013.11.008
- Tan MS, Yu JT, Tan CC, et al. Efficacy and adverse effects of ginkgo biloba for cognitive impairment and dementia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Alzheimers Dis. 2015;43(2):589-603. doi:10.3233/JAD-140837
- Damar U, Gersner R, Johnstone JT, Schachter S, Rotenberg A. Huperzine A as a neuroprotective and antiepileptic drug: a review of preclinical research. Expert Rev Neurother. 2016;16(6):671-680. doi:10.1080/14737175.2016.1175303
- Glade MJ, Smith K. Phosphatidylserine and the human brain. Nutrition. 2015;31(6):781-786. doi:10.1016/j.nut.2014.10.014
- Iglseder B. Doping für das Gehirn [Doping for the brain]. Z Gerontol Geriatr. 2018;51(2):143-148. doi:10.1007/s00391-017-1351-y
- Battleday RM, Brem AK. Modafinil for cognitive neuroenhancement in healthy non-sleep-deprived subjects: A systematic review. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2015;25(11):1865-1881. doi:10.1016/j.euroneuro.2015.07.028
- Ishizuka T, Sakamoto Y, Sakurai T, Yamatodani A. Modafinil increases histamine release in the anterior hypothalamus of rats. Neurosci Lett. 2003;339(2):143-146. doi:10.1016/s0304-3940(03)00006-5
- Brown RE, Stevens DR, Haas HL. The physiology of brain histamine. Prog Neurobiol. 2001;63(6):637-672. doi:10.1016/s0301-0082(00)00039-3
- Zolkowska D, Jain R, Rothman RB, et al. Evidence for the involvement of dopamine transporters in behavioral stimulant effects of modafinil. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2009;329(2):738-746. doi:10.1124/jpet.108.146142
- Minzenberg MJ, Carter CS. Modafinil: a review of neurochemical actions and effects on cognition. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008;33(7):1477-1502. doi:10.1038/sj.npp.1301534
- Rasetti, R., Mattay, V. S., Stankevich, B., Skjei, K., Blasi, G., Sambataro, F., Arrillaga-Romany, I. C., Goldberg, T. E., Callicott, J. H., Apud, J. A., & Weinberger, D. R. (2010). Modulatory effects of modafinil on neural circuits regulating emotion and cognition. Neuropsychopharmacology : official publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, 35(10), 2101–2109. https://doi.org/10.1038/npp.2010.83
- Lapin I. Phenibut (beta-phenyl-GABA): a tranquilizer and nootropic drug. CNS Drug Rev. 2001;7(4):471-481. doi:10.1111/j.1527-3458.2001.tb00211.x
- Owen DR, Wood DM, Archer JR, Dargan PI. Phenibut (4-amino-3-phenyl-butyric acid): Availability, prevalence of use, desired effects and acute toxicity. Drug Alcohol Rev. 2016;35(5):591-596. doi:10.1111/dar.12356
- Ahuja T, Mgbako O, Katzman C, Grossman A. Phenibut (β-Phenyl-γ-aminobutyric Acid) Dependence and Management of Withdrawal: Emerging Nootropics of Abuse. Case Rep Psychiatry. 2018;2018:9864285. Published 2018 Apr 30. doi:10.1155/2018/9864285