Buy Nootropics in Australia | The #1 A-Z Guide
Curious about buying nootropics in Australia? You’ve come to the perfect place.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explain everything you need to know about buying and using nootropics while living down under!
The goal for this guide is to give you a complete overview of the smart drug scene in Australia. We’re going to show you the best nootropics to buy, the best online pharmacies to buy them from, legal nootropics, and how to buy whatever you need without any issues.
Fortunately, buying nootropics in Australia is pretty straightforward these days. You don’t even need a prescription. There are also several fantastic over-the-counter nootropics to try…which will be discussed below.
Table of Contents
I’m not a doctor or lawyer and this is not medical or legal advice. This guide is strictly for entertainment purposes only. Always consult a medical professional before consuming any nootropic and always abide by the laws of your country. Please read my disclaimer page, too!
What Are Nootropics?
Nootropics are a group of natural substances and synthetic compounds that can enhance cognitive functions like memory, attention span, and concentration . Commonly referred to as ‘smart drugs’, as they purportedly enhance and facilitate learning and help people overcome cognitive impairments.
Synthetic nootropics were first discovered in the 1960s but they enjoyed renewed interest following the release of the 2011 movie Limitless. This movie featured a fictional nootropic called ‘NZT-48’ that gave users superhuman intelligence, making them instantly smarter, more productive, and successful.
While NZT-48 is pure fiction, the scriptwriters drew inspiration from real-life ‘smart pills’ such as the infamous Modafinil, often dubbed ‘the real-life Limitless pill’.
Modafinil is commonly prescribed to treat sleep disorders but has become perhaps the best-known and most widely used nootropic of all time, renowned for its ‘off-label’ use as potent fatigue-buster and cognitive enhancer .
Over the years, nootropics such as Modafinil have gained widespread popularity among busy students, entrepreneurs, and professionals who are looking to gain a competitive edge.
But they have also generated a great deal of controversy among members of the medical community. Many doctors and scientists have noted that there is scant research to support the effectiveness of nootropics and little evidence that they offer real benefits for healthy individuals.
To address this, many companies have created legal nootropics that offer benefits such as improved focus and wakefulness, without side effects or the need for a prescription.
Nootropics Side Effects and Safety
Before trying any nootropics, I strongly encourage you to consult a medical professional and read up about potential side-effects you are likely to encounter. In general, you can categorize nootropics into two main groups; pharmaceutical products, like Modafinil, that require a doctor’s s prescription, and dietary supplements like Mind Lab Pro, that do not.
Dietary supplements are non-pharmaceutical products that generally produce no side effects in healthy individuals. However, if you have any allergies, be sure to read the ingredients before purchasing.
- Interrupted sleeping patterns
These side effects  are typically experienced by first-time users and most people find they can adjust their dosages to minimize side effects.
Are Nootropics Legal in Australia?
Now, I’m not a lawyer or legal scholar so the following advice about the legalities of nootropics in Australia shouldn’t be misconstrued as anything other than hyperbole. This is NOT advice.
The legal status of any given nootropic depends on whether it is a pharmaceutical product or a non-pharmaceutical dietary supplement.
Dietary supplements like Mind Lab Pro are completely legal and can be purchased online without a prescription.
That being said, many online vendors routinely ship nootropics like Modafinil to Australia and if you buy from one of my recommended vendors you shouldn’t have any problems.
Top 2 Legal Nootropics in Australia
While I’ve yet to hear from anyone who’s had any trouble getting nootropics shipped to their home in Australia, I realize that not everyone wants the hassle.
Luckily, there’s a whole range of legal nootropics in Australia that mimic the effects of pharmaceutical drugs with zero side effects.
If you want to experiment with nootropics without worry, legal nootropics are the answer. Here’s my top recommendations:
Mind Lab Pro
Mind Lab Pro is one of the most powerful legal nootropics I’ve ever tried! It’s a complex blend of 11 research-backed brain-boosting nootropics that work in six bio-pathways to optimize a wide array of cognitive functions.
While some nootropics only target two or three brain pathways, Mind Lab Pro unlocks 100-percent of your brain’s power and supports memory, performance, mindset, and structural aspects of your mind.
I’ve experienced incredible benefits from Mind Lab Pro and highly recommend it to anyone with an active lifestyle who demands dynamic brainpower. When I started taking it, my work performance and productivity increased dramatically; I found it easier to focus, multitask, and problem-solve under stress, which really helped my work.
I cycle Mind Lab Pro with other nootropics and find it gives me a calm mindset and helps with my mood and mental clarity. If I need a quick boost in my motivation, willpower, and intensity, this is the nootropic I take!
The second legal nootropic I swear by is Qualia Mind. It’s a complete brain supplement that helps boost focus and clarity without any of the common stimulants, like caffeine or theobromine, that you find in some other dietary supplements.
I take Qualia Mind for overall brain well-being and effortless focus without side-effects like headaches, jitteriness, nausea, or sleeplessness.
To maximize the benefits, I cycle Qualia Mind and take it five days on and two days off each week. This gives me lasting energy and better recall while killing any urges I might have to procrastinate. I find it great for improving my reaction speeds, heightening my creativity, and centering my moods and emotions.
The World’s Best Nootropic…
The world’s best known and most popular nootropic is undoubtedly Modafinil . Modafinil was discovered in 1974 when a French drug company, L. Lafon Ltd, identified a new molecule, Adrafinil, and began using it in medical trials. Researchers discovered that one of Adrafinil’s active metabolites, Modafinil, was an extremely powerful ‘wakefulness’ agent, and registered the drug in France in 1992.
Modafinil was initially prescribed to narcoleptic and idiopathic hypersomnia patients to prevent daytime sleepiness and sleep attacks. It could effectively treat sleepiness, somnolence, and fatigue in patients with a wide range of medical conditions like narcolepsy, sleep apnea and Shift Sleep Disorder.
However, Modafinil quickly gained a reputation for its off-label benefits such as:
- Extreme focus for 12+ hours
- Increased productivity
- Improved memory retention
- Inability to feel fatigued (great for all-nighters!)
In short, Modafinil made people feel like they could accomplish anything while they were on it. Although many other nootropics have been developed over the years, Modafinil  is still considered to be the original and the best.
Because nothing else comes close.
Is Modafinil Legal in Australia?
As I mentioned earlier, Modafinil is a Schedule 4 drug in Australia, meaning it is a prescription-only medication that has the potential for addiction. As such, it requires a prescription from a doctor to buy and use it legally.
According to the Australian Government’s Department of Health , Modafinil is approved for treating narcolepsy and psychostimulant withdrawal symptoms such as hypersomnia, poor concentration, and low mood, as it promotes wakefulness, vigilance, and alertness.
If you are diagnosed with one of those conditions, it is possible to get a prescription for branded Modafinil  such as APO-Modafinila, Modafina, Modafinil ANa, Modafinil GHa, Modafinil Mylana, Modafinil Sandoza, and Modavigil.
However, most doctors would require patients to undertake medical tests such as a sleep trial before prescribing it.
The cost of buying legit Modafinil can be exorbitant, running to as much as AU$206.82 for two packs of 60 100mg tablets. However, Australian citizens may be eligible to receive the drug under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, or PBS , which is like a medically supervised trial and can lower the general patient charge to a more reasonable AU$41.
One popular option for those who go this route is to get a second script written out and keep it to prove they can legitimately have the drug. They can then switch to buying Modafinil online, which can be more economical.
Fortunately, it is possible to buy generic Modafinil from an online pharmacy without much hassle, even without a prescription. Simply place an order with an online vendor and have it shipped to your address in Australia.
Check out this post about how to buy Modafinil in Australia to find out more.
Ordering Modafinil online without a prescription is technically illegal, but I’ve yet to hear about anyone having any legitimate legal issues importing a Schedule 4 pharmaceutical drug into Australia for personal use.
There’s truly no risk in Australia!
But again, I’m no lawyer and I always advise you to abide by the laws of the country you’re living in.
The Top “Social” Nootropic
One of the top ‘social’ nootropics right now in Australia is Phenibut .
Phenibut is a synthetic nootropic first synthesized in Russia during the 1960s and offers users a powerful way of relieving tension, anxiety, and fear. While Phenibut isn’t approved for use in Australia, it is commonly prescribed in some other countries to treat patients with anxiety, depression, insomnia, alcohol withdrawal, and similar conditions.
As a non-prescription supplement, Phenibut has developed a strong following for its ‘off-label’ uses.
It is known to boost the transmission of three important neurotransmitters, dopamine, GABA, and serotonin, all of which have a calming effect on the mind, earning it the nickname ‘the happy pill’. Phenibut has a profound impact on fatigue, cognition, and anti-anxiety. Basically, it gets rid of nervousness or anything along those lines, making users feel completely relaxed.
Some of the benefits of Phenibut include improvements in:
- Long-term and short-term memory
- Verbal fluency
- Problem-solving ability
Many people come across Phenibut because they are looking for something like alcohol that can suppress inhibitions, be more socially confident, and be more willing to interact with others.
Most users do not experience this symptoms, as Phenibut is a generally safe product. Just only use it 1-3/days per week in smaller doses.
Is Phenibut Legal in Australia?
In February 2018, the Therapeutic Goods Administration  declared Phenibut a prohibited (Schedule 9) substance, meaning that its possession, use, sale, or manufacture is now banned in Australia . The TGA cited health concerns related to withdrawal and overdose .
However, ordering Phenibut from an online vendor and having it shipped to you is fairly straightforward. In the unlikely event that a shipment is seized, I’d surmise that the worst that happens is you get a letter from customs. I’ve yet to hear from anyone who’s had any issue buying Phenibut online in Australia.
If you order Phenibut from one of my recommended online vendors, they guarantee their shipments to Australia and offer a 100-percent money-back guarantee that your shipment will arrive.
Basically, you get your Phenibut or you get a full refund or a free reshipment.
Again, you really have no risks here!
Nootropics Australia | Verdict
If you were curious about nootropics in Australia, that’s about it mate!
From the legalities to the best online vendors, and the best legal nootropics, we’ve covered it all in this entertaining guide.
Everything you need to know about enhancing the mind while living down under!
Oh, and don’t forget to click here and buy Modafinil from my favorite online vendors for Australians!
- Malik R, Sangwan A, Saihgal R, Jindal DP, Piplani P. Towards better brain management: nootropics. Curr Med Chem. 2007;14(2):123-131. doi:10.2174/092986707779313408
- McClellan KJ, Spencer CM. Modafinil : A Review of its Pharmacology and Clinical Efficacy in the Management of Narcolepsy. CNS Drugs. 1998;9(4):311-324. doi:10.2165/00023210-199809040-00006
- Cunha, John, 2020. Side Effects Of Provigil (Modafinil), Warnings, Uses. [online] RxList. Available at: <https://www.rxlist.com/provigil-side-effects-drug-center.htm> [Accessed 11 July 2020].
- Becker PM, Schwartz JR, Feldman NT, Hughes RJ. Effect of modafinil on fatigue, mood, and health-related quality of life in patients with narcolepsy. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2004;171(2):133-139. doi:10.1007/s00213-003-1508-9
- Kim D. Practical use and risk of modafinil, a novel waking drug. Environ Health Toxicol. 2012;27:e2012007. doi:10.5620/eht.2012.27.e2012007
- Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA). 2020. Scheduling Basics. [online] Available at: <https://www.tga.gov.au/scheduling-basics> [Accessed 11 July 2020].
- gov.au. 2020. Poisons Standard February 2017. [online] Available at: <https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2017C00665/Html/Text#_Toc473899665> [Accessed 11 July 2020].
- com. 2020. Modafinil: Indications, Side Effects, Warnings – Drugs.Com. [online] Available at: <https://www.drugs.com/cdi/modafinil.html> [Accessed 11 July 2020].
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. PubChem Database. Modafinil, CID=4236, https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/modafinil (accessed on July 11, 2020).
- health.gov.au. 2020. Department Of Health | Modafinil. [online] Available at: <https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/publications/publishing.nsf/Content/drugtreat-pubs-modpsy-toc~drugtreat-pubs-modpsy-3~drugtreat-pubs-modpsy-3-8~drugtreat-pubs-modpsy-3-8-mod> [Accessed 11 July 2020].
- gov.au. 2020. Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) |. [online] Available at: <https://www.pbs.gov.au/medicine/item/8816B> [Accessed 11 July 2020].
- gov.au. 2020. Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) | Home. [online] Available at: <https://www.pbs.gov.au/pbs/home;jsessionid=6x7ma0wzxsslbgkuj1tquxga> [Accessed 11 July 2020].
- Lapin I. Phenibut (beta-phenyl-GABA): a tranquilizer and nootropic drug. CNS Drug Rev. 2001;7(4):471-481. doi:10.1111/j.1527-3458.2001.tb00211.x
- Zheng KH, Khan A, Espiridion ED. Phenibut Addiction in a Patient with Substance Use Disorder. Cureus. 2019;11(7):e5230. Published 2019 Jul 24. doi:10.7759/cureus.5230
- Lapin I. Phenibut (beta-phenyl-GABA): a tranquilizer and nootropic drug. CNS Drug Rev. 2001;7(4):471-481. doi:10.1111/j.1527-3458.2001.tb00211.x
- Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA). 2020. Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA). [online] Available at: <https://www.tga.gov.au/> [Accessed 11 July 2020].
- net.au. 2020. The Cosmonaut Drug That May Have Caused A School Overdose. [online] Available at: <https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-23/what-is-phenibut-the-drug-suspected-in-school-overdose/9475814#:~:text=Earlier%20this%20month%2C%20the%20Therapeutic,Australian%20websites%20selling%20fitness%20supplements> [Accessed 11 July 2020].
- Owen, D. R., Wood, D. M., Archer, J. R. H., and Dargan, P. I. (2016) Phenibut (4‐amino‐3‐phenyl‐butyric acid): Availability, prevalence of use, desired effects and acute toxicity. Drug and Alcohol Review, 35: 591– 596. doi: 1111/dar.12356.