Are Armodafinil Side Effects As Strong As Modafinil?
Smart drug side effects are unavoidable. Like any other pharmaceutical drugs, there’s a risk you’ll experience a few of them when regularly consuming nootropics. This is certainly true with Modafinil, and Armodafinil side effects are no different.
Except when they are.
One of my favorite things about Armodafinil is how minor the side effects are compared to some of my favorite smart drugs. Personally, I rarely experience Armodafinil side effects, especially when following proper dosing techniques.
You may be different. We all react to smart drugs differently. You may experience side effects, while I may not. That’s why it’s best to test things out and see what works for you and what doesn’t.
P.S: Just remember that I am not a doctor. This is not medical advice. This is simply entertainment. Always consult with a medical professional before consuming any pharmaceutical drug.
What is Armodafinil?
Before we dive too deep, let’s talk a little bit about Armodafinil and what it is. Developed in 2007 by a French pharmaceutical company, Armodafinil was originally named Nuvigil.
The pharmaceutical drug was designed to treat ailments like narcolepsy, shift sleep disorder, and sleep apnea (Source). If you ask for Armodafinil from the doctor, these are the only reasons a doctor could legally prescribe you Nuvigil.
Armodafinil is essentially Modafinil’s little cousin. The only reason the drug was developed was to ensure the pharmaceutical company had a patent – when Modafinil’s patent expired.
Armodafinil features a one enantiomer structure, whereas Modafinil has two parts. As such, many consider Armodafinil to be a “pure” smart drug. This is also why Armodafinil side effects tend to be fairly minor.
Nowadays, people take Armodafinil for the mental benefits. You’ll typically find Armodafinil helps you:
- Stay focused for hours on end
- Increase overall cognition
- Heighten focus
- Improve productivity by at least 30%
Is Armodafinil Safe?
Overall, is Armodafinil safe? While I’m no doctor, I’d say yes.
As of writing this piece, there have been zero reported deaths as a result of Modafinil overdose or even taking Armodafinil.
Simply put, these drugs are not stimulants. Armodafinil has no addictive properties. You won’t get addicted to Armodafinil. You won’t want to take more and more of it after each use.
What does the nootropic do? Armodafinil will increase cognition and help you focus. Taking a higher dose rarely adds benefit. Thus, you won’t feel the need to take more than 150 mg of Armodafinil each day.
Learn more about smart drug safety here:
- Is Modafinil Safe? Your Guide to Smart Drugs and Health
- Is Modafinil Legal? Everything You Need to Know
- Will Modafinil Show Up On A Drug Test?
- 9 Modafinil Side Effects You Need to Know
Common Armodafinil Side Effects
Personally, I’ve found Armodafinil side effects to be incredibly minor, and I have a feeling you will, too. However, there are a few common side effects to be aware of.
Here are a couple common side effects:
- Sleeplessness: If you take Armodafinil after noon or 1 PM, you may find it hard to go to sleep in the evening. Armodafinil is a wakefulness agent and was created to keep people up for 8-12 hours straight – even through the night. Thus, it can be difficult to fall asleep after consuming the smart drug. Personally, I find this easy to combat. Just take the smart drug before 10 AM each morning.
- Nausea and Diarrhea: This is the only Armodafinil side effect that I actually have issue with. You may experience some stomach cramps, nausea, and diarrhea when taking Armodafinil. The drug can bother the stomach. However, this typically goes away by the next morning.
P.S: I’ve found Armodafinil much easier on the stomach than Modafinil.
- Headaches: The Modafinil headache is a real thing. With Armodafinil, headaches aren’t nearly as common. Still, you’ll want to watch out for this issue. The best way to combat a potential Armodafinil headache? Drink lots of water and electrolytes while taking Armodafinil and stick to a 150 mg dose.
- Dry Mouth: This is a common side effects of Armodafinil, Modafinil, and a number of smart drugs. Luckily, it’s not that big of a deal. Just keep yourself hydrated when taking nootropics and you shouldn’t have many dry mouth issues.
Now, there are some more serious side effects of Armodafinil. While these issues are incredibly rare, you should pay attention and potential seek medical help if you experience (Source):
- Sore throat
- Skin rash
- Chest pain
Are Armodafinil Side Effects As Strong As Modafinil?
No, they are not. Most people find Armodafinil side effects are not as strong as Modafinil side effects. I certainly did.
When I take Armodafinil, it’s usually on days I want to get to sleep at a decent hour and not have to worry about diarrhea and stomach cramps.
Don’t get me wrong. Modafinil side effects certainly aren’t that bad. At worst, you’ll stay up until 3 AM and have diarrhea the next morning. However, with Armodafinil, you won’t need to deal with those minor inconveniences, either.
Overall, Armodafinil is a great alternative to Modafinil on days when you need 8-10 hours of great focus and productivity compared to 12-14 with Modafinil. Armodafinil isn’t as strong, but neither are the Armodafinil side effects.