Alpha Brain | Review of Benefits, Side Effects, and Uses
Heard about Alpha Brain and want to know more about its benefits, side effects, and uses?
You’ve come to just the right place.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explain everything you need to know about this popular over-the-counter (OTC) nootropic.
We’ll cover Alpha Brain’s benefits, side effects, and uses, and explain how it compares to the undisputed king of smart drugs…Modafinil.
Whether you’re looking to increase your concentration, study more effectively, or crush your workload, this guide will help you decide whether Alpha Brain is what you need to succeed.
This is not medical or legal advice. This guide is strictly for entertainment purposes only. Always consult a medical professional before consuming any nootropic and always abide by the laws of your country. Please read my disclaimer page, too.
What is Alpha Brain?
Let’s run through the basics and get you up to speed.
Alpha Brain is a dietary supplement that was launched in 2011 and has become one of the most popular natural nootropics on the smart drug scene.
In case you are wondering, the term ‘nootropic’ was coined in 1972 by Dr. Corneliu Giurgea, the psychologist and chemist who discovered and developed Piracetam, the world’s first synthetic smart drug .
Dr. Giurgea defined a nootropic as any natural or synthetic substance that can;
- Enhance memory, attention span, concentration, and the ability to learn.
- Help the brain function under distress.
- Protect the brain from chemical and physical stress.
- Increase the efficacy of neuronal firing.
- Produce virtually zero side effects and be non-toxic.
Alpha Brain meets this definition perfectly. It is BSCG Certified Drug-Free ® and contains only natural substances that help support memory, mental speed, concentration, and focus.
When you take Alpha Brain you can expect the following benefits:
- 6+ hours of improved concentration and focus.
- Enhanced verbal recall and executive functioning.
- Significantly improved recent verbal memory.
- Better mental processing.
- Heightened ‘flow state’ (the feeling of being ‘in the zone’)
Alpha Brain is free from Caffeine, gluten, dairy, and nuts, and is Keto friendly.
In short, if you’re looking for a powerful natural nootropic with virtually zero side effects, Alpha Brain is highly recommended.
Alpha Brain Ingredients | What You MUST Know
You’re probably wondering what’s actually in Alpha Brain…
That’s a great question.
Alpha Brain contains a trademarked blend, or ‘stack’, of natural substances that act as nootropics and help build an environment in which the brain can operate on all cylinders with increased mental clarity and improved memory.
This blend includes:
- Oat straw extract
- Huperzia Serrata
Let’s look at some of these ingredients in a little more detail.
- L-Theanine: L-Theanine is an amino acid that stimulates the brain to release more dopamine and serotonin, helping to improve attention and reaction times. One study found that L-Theanine has a positive effect on cerebral blood flow, cognition, and mood .
- L-Tyrosine: L-Tyrosine is an amino acid that has been shown to improve cognitive and mental performance. It helps boost motivation and focus almost as much as amphetamines like Adderall .
- Phosphatidylserine: Phosphatidylserine is a type of fat that helps maintain cellular function in the brain. It has been shown to help people retain their cognitive functioning ability as they age .
- Oat straw extract: This compound has been shown to promote cognitive function when taken as part of a healthy, balanced, diet.
- Alpha-GPC: Alpha-GPC is a compound that aids the production of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. This has been shown to benefit patients with cognitive dysfunction .
- Huperzia Serrata: Huperzia Serrata has been shown to help the breakdown of acetylcholine while Huperzine has very strong neuroprotective properties .
- Bacopa: Bacopa is a perennial herb show to help nerve signal reception. This has been shown to improve cognition and shorten choice reaction times . It has also been shown to help reduce anxiety, depression, and stress while increasing reaction times .
- Pterostilbene: Pterostilbene has been shown to promote cellular integrity and protect brain and nerve cells.
- L-Leucine: L-Leucine is a branched-chain amino acid (BCAA) that helps the body synthesize protein.
Overall, these ingredients are considered safe when taken at the recommended doses. Alpha Brain contains extremely pure forms of these ingredients, so they have maximum bioavailability. They work in synergy to create a ‘drug-like’ boost in energy, focus, concentration, and creativity, without any of the side-effects of synthetic nootropics.
Does Alpha Brain Work? | Benefits
Alpha Brain works. But don’t take our word for it.
A 2016 randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study found that healthy adults who used Alpha Brain for six weeks significantly improved their recent verbal memory when compared with control groups .
The study involved 63 participants between the ages of 18 and 35 and worked by having all participants receive a 2-week placebo run before receiving the active product, Alpha Brain, or a placebo for 6 weeks. Participants were asked to complete several neuropsychological tests at the 2-week and 6-week marks.
The study found that participants who took Alpha Brain experienced the following benefits:
- A 12 % improvement in tasks of delayed verbal recall and executive functioning, compared with the placebo.
- 21% faster completion time in executive function assessments, compared to baseline tests.
- Significantly improved recent verbal memory when compared with the control group.
In short, Alpha Brain is one of the few natural nootropics that has been scientifically *proven* to work.
It’s the most powerful natural nootropic we’ve ever reviewed and one of the most consistent nootropics we’ve ever tried that’s not called Modafinil.
You see, Modafinil is the king of smart drugs, but Alpha Brain gives Modafinil a darn good run for its money.
Wondering what it feels like to take Alpha Brain?
Have you ever experienced the sense of being so focused on something that you can’t think about anything else? Those days where you read a dozen chapters or finish an assignment or task without taking a break?
You become so engrossed in what you’re doing that the day passes by without you even noticing.
Well, that’s what taking Alpha Brain feels like.
Psychologists call this feeling ‘flow state’. It’s the optimal level of consciousness, like a ‘zone’ where you are at your most productive. Your brain produces more alpha waves and your productivity and creativity go into overdrive.
Alpha Brain’s ingredients help you reach this state almost instantly. You’re able to tune out background noise and accomplish tasks without getting distracted, while experiencing a huge boost in memory, mental processing, and focus.
Alpha Brain basically lights your mind up like a Christmas tree and keeps you energized for up to six hours straight. It banishes ‘brain fog’ and gets you focused and ‘in the zone’ while killing any urge to procrastinate.
If you have a mountain of paperwork to get through, or an important test or exam to prepare for, Alpha Mind will help you work to capacity and reach your potential. Its unique blend of natural ingredients help you remember key dates, facts, names, and details, and think more clearly under stress. Even if you’re up against a tight deadline or a worried about a looming exam date, Alpha Brain helps you direction your attention 100% on complex tasks.
In case you were wondering, getting ‘in the zone’ doesn’t feel like you’re ‘high’. And it isn’t the same as the energy ‘rush’ you get from caffeine, either. Alpha Brain gives you a long, cool, ‘surge’ of energy with no peaks or troughs.
But don’t take our word for it…
Alpha Brain Side Effects and Safety
Even though Alpha Brain is one of the safest natural nootropics we’ve ever tried, there are a few minor side effects that you may experience.
That’s why you should consult a medical doctor before taking Alpha Brain, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, have or suspect a medical condition, or are taking any medications.
But assuming you’re a healthy adult, what can you expect?
Firstly, Alpha Brain is a dietary supplement, not a drug. Its ingredients are among the safest cognitive enhancers that we know of. When taken at the recommended doses, they are all considered safe and non-toxic.
However, how you respond to them will depend on a host of factors including your age, physical condition, preexisting conditions, genetic factors, and whether you are taking any other medications.
The recommended daily intake of Alpha Brain is two capsules (or one sachet of Alpha Brain Instant mixed with water or a beverage). You don’t need us to tell you that upping your dosage is not recommended and can lead to unwanted side effects. It’s also possible to get side effects if you simultaneously take other supplements, such as caffeine, or consume energy drinks.
Side effects with Alpha Brain are rare, but here are the six most common ones to look out for:
- Nausea: You may experience mild nausea when taking Alpha Brain, however this feeling tends to subside as soon as your body adjusts to the nootropic. It is recommended to take Alpha Brain with a light meal as this can alleviate any feelings of nausea you may experience. If the original Alpha Brain capsules make you feel nauseous, try taking a sachet of Alpha Brain Instant mixed with water or your favorite beverage instead, as this can help calm your stomach.
- Headaches: Headaches are usually caused not by Alpha Brain, but by not drinking enough water and letting yourself get dehydrated during the day. Alpha Brain is so effective as getting you ‘in the zone’ that many users simply forget about food and water intake. Staying hydrated will help you avoid this.
- Jaw pain: Jaw pain is typically the result of getting ‘into the flow’ and tightening your jaw as you focus on study or work for hours on end. Most users report that jaw pain tends to go away quickly when they change position.
- Lucid dreams: Many Alpha Brain users report having much more vivid, lucid dreams than before. Furthermore, they find that they can remember small details that they weren’t previously able to. This side effect is most likely caused by Bacopa, which promote relaxation and can help you achieve a deeper sleep.
- Anxiety and Jitters: The sensation of feeling ‘on edge’ or ‘jittery’ isn’t especially common with Alpha Brain. If you’ve heard or read about natural nootropics causing anxiety or jitters, the most likely culprit is caffeine, which can produce serious side effects when taken in excessive quantities, such as dizziness, anxiety, and even hallucinations .
- Fortunately, Alpha Mind is caffeine-free and shouldn’t give you much in the way of jitters. If you feel this way, look at other sources of caffeine in your diet, such as tea, coffee, and energy drinks, and adjust your intake accordingly.
- Sleeplessness: Alpha Brain is extremely helpful at promoting wakefulness so you should take it early in the morning and aim to be at your most productive during the day. Alpha Brain kicks hard for 4-6 hours, so you shouldn’t take it in the afternoon or evening and expect to be able to fall asleep before midnight.
Overall, side effects from Alpha Brain are rare. If you stick to the recommended dose of 2-4 capsules per day, you shouldn’t have any issues.
Alpha Brain Overdose?
If you’re concerned that taking too much Alpha Brain could result in an overdose, then don’t worry.
Alpha Brain is a dietary supplement, meaning that it is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Alpha Brain contains only natural ingredients that come from plants (such as plant extracts) and amino acids.
It is true that some natural nootropics can produce serious side effects when taken in excessive quantities, especially caffeine and products that contain caffeine. However, Alpha Brain is caffeine-free, and overdosing shouldn’t be a concern.
Provided you stick to the recommended intake of 2-4 capsules, you should be fine.
Alpha Brain Instant vs. Capsules
Wondering what’s the difference between the original Alpha Brain capsules and Alpha Brain Instant?
They both contain exactly the same ingredients in the exact same formula. The only difference is the delivery time.
Original Alpha Brain capsules take longer to kick in as your body needs time to break down the vegetarian capsule cases and start to absorb the ingredient.
Alpha Brain Instant much faster — it’s a fine powder that mixes with water or any beverage and is digested through the lining of your stomach almost instantly.
Alpha Brain Instant is great if you want an immediate ‘hit’ or if you just don’t like swallowing capsules. You can simply throw a sachet or two into your purse or bag and get a cognitive boost on the go, wherever you are.
If you’re looking for the ultimate in convenience and portability, Alpha Brain Instant is all you need to get your brain firing on all cylinders and boost mental clarity anytime, any place.
Modafinil vs. Alpha Brain
Alpha Brain and Modafinil are both nootropics, but Alpha Brain is 100% natural — and Modafinil is a prescription-only drug used to treat narcolepsy, a condition that causes sufferers to fall asleep at inconvenient times.
While both substances have similar effects in terms of promoting wakefulness, increasing concentration, and improving working memory, they are a world apart in terms of side effects and safety.
Modafinil is illegal in most countries without a prescription, while Alpha Brain is a 100% legal dietary supplement that’s certified drug-free.
In this section, we’ll give you the low-down on these two heavyweights in the smart drug scene.
Modafinil is a synthetic drug that acts as a stimulant when taken ‘off-prescription’ by healthy individuals. It massively increases concentration and alertness while providing a huge boost in working and episodic memory . It also gives huge improvements in emotion recognition and task-related motivation .
So how does Alpha Brain compare? One dose of Alpha Brain gives you:
- 6+ hours of improved concentration and focus.
- Enhanced verbal recall and executive functioning
- Significantly improved recent verbal memory
- Better mental processing
- Heightened ‘flow state’ (the feeling of being ‘in the zone’)
While Modafinil offers:
- 12+ hours of dramatically increased attentiveness
- Boosted concentration
- Enhanced alertness 
- Improve learning
- Optimized working memory 
In terms of cognitive benefits, Alpha Brain and Modafinil are like night and day — the natural substances found in Alpha Brain simply can’t compare to Modafinil in terms of potency, duration, and effect.
However, legal issues aside, there’s one good reason to choose Alpha Brain over Modafinil…
Whereas Alpha Brain produces little to no side effects in healthy individuals, Modafinil comes with a host of serious side effects that you should know about.
Although there’s never been a peer-reviewed study into exactly what happens when healthy individuals take Modafinil as a nootropic, one study looked into what happens when Modafinil is given to patients who have been incorrectly diagnosed with narcolepsy, i.e. non-sufferers.
It found that Modafinil causes a whole host of unexpected side effects including :
These reported side effects were mild, but are important to know about before you decide whether to take Modafinil.
Modafinil isn’t considered addictive. It contains no precursor molecules for substances that are known to induce addiction. However, it has been shown to function as a reinforcer and have abuse potential under certain circumstances, especially when taken at a high dosage.
In one case, a man with bipolar affective disorder developed Modafinil dependence and later on, had hypersexuality, when he increased his dose of Modafinil from 400 to 1,000 mg/day .
So, if you were curious about the difference between Alpha Brain and Modafinil, that’s about it.
Modafinil is the ultimate smart drug because, quite frankly, nothing matches its potency and effectiveness as a wakefulness-promoting agent.
However, it comes with serious side effects to boot and shouldn’t be taken lightly.
Alpha Brain, on the other hand, offers a solid 4-6 hours of ‘laser-sharp’ focus and concentration and boosts working memory with virtually zero side effects.
Learn more about Modafinil vs. Alpha Brain here.
Where to Buy Alpha Brain Online | 2020 Guide
Even though Alpha Brain is 100%, you likely won’t be able to just head down to your local pharmacy or supplement store and buy some; you’ll need to go online.
We’ve reviewed the top suppliers and have found Onnit, the creator of Alpha Brain, to be the best place to buy this nootropic. These guys have a solid track record for supplying Alpha Brain worldwide with fast shipping.
We rate them highly for the following reasons:
- Onnit Quality Promise: Onnit carefully sources all its products with the finest ingredients and rigorously tests them for efficacy, purity, and safety, meaning you can order with confidence.
- Free shipping on all orders over $150: Onnit offers free shipping and tracking on all orders over $150.
- Money Back Guarantee: Onnit is so confident that you’ll love its products and service that it offers a 100% money back guarantee on all orders.
- Subscribe and Save: With a subscription, you can buy Alpha Brain whenever you want at 15% off MSRP. Your future orders are automatic, worry free, and come with the same great money back guarantee.
If you’re looking for a fast, reliable way to buy Alpha Brain, Onnit is highly recommended.
Alpha Brain | Review of Benefits, Side Effects, and Uses
If you were curious about Alpha Brain, hopefully this guide has answered all your questions. As you’ve learned, Alpha Brain is a 100% legal dietary supplement that contains natural nootropics.
It gives you 6+ hours of intense concentration and focus while being virtually side-effect free.
- Giurgea C. Vers une pharmacologie de l’activité intégrative du cerveau. Tentative du concept nootrope en psychopharmacologie [Pharmacology of integrative activity of the brain. Attempt at nootropic concept in psychopharmacology]. Actual Pharmacol (Paris). 1972;25:115-156.
- Dodd FL, Kennedy DO, Riby LM, Haskell-Ramsay CF. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study evaluating the effects of caffeine and L-theanine both alone and in combination on cerebral blood flow, cognition and mood. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2015;232(14):2563-2576. doi:10.1007/s00213-015-3895-0
- Fond G, Micoulaud-Franchi JA, Brunel L, et al. Innovative mechanisms of action for pharmaceutical cognitive enhancement: A systematic review. Psychiatry Res. 2015;229(1-2):12-20. doi:10.1016/j.psychres.2015.07.006
- Glade MJ, Smith K. Phosphatidylserine and the human brain. Nutrition. 2015;31(6):781-786. doi:10.1016/j.nut.2014.10.014
- Scapicchio PL. Revisiting choline alphoscerate profile: a new, perspective, role in dementia?. Int J Neurosci. 2013;123(7):444-449. doi:10.3109/00207454.2013.765870
- Damar U, Gersner R, Johnstone JT, Schachter S, Rotenberg A. Huperzine A as a neuroprotective and antiepileptic drug: a review of preclinical research. Expert Rev Neurother. 2016;16(6):671-680. doi:10.1080/14737175.2016.1175303
- Kongkeaw C, Dilokthornsakul P, Thanarangsarit P, Limpeanchob N, Norman Scholfield C. Meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials on cognitive effects of Bacopa monnieri extract. J Ethnopharmacol. 2014;151(1):528-535. doi:10.1016/j.jep.2013.11.008
- Sukumaran NP, Amalraj A, Gopi S. Neuropharmacological and cognitive effects of Bacopa monnieri (L.) Wettst – A review on its mechanistic aspects. Complement Ther Med. 2019;44:68-82. doi:10.1016/j.ctim.2019.03.016
- Solomon TM, Leech J, deBros GB, et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled, parallel group, efficacy study of alpha BRAIN® administered orally. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2016;31(2):135-143. doi:10.1002/hup.2520
- Wikoff D, Welsh BT, Henderson R, et al. Systematic review of the potential adverse effects of caffeine consumption in healthy adults, pregnant women, adolescents, and children. Food Chem Toxicol. 2017;109(Pt 1):585-648. doi:10.1016/j.fct.2017.04.002
- Rasetti, R., Mattay, V. S., Stankevich, B., Skjei, K., Blasi, G., Sambataro, F., Arrillaga-Romany, I. C., Goldberg, T. E., Callicott, J. H., Apud, J. A., & Weinberger, D. R. (2010). Modulatory effects of modafinil on neural circuits regulating emotion and cognition. Neuropsychopharmacology : official publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, 35(10), 2101–2109. https://doi.org/10.1038/npp.2010.83
- Brühl AB, d’Angelo C, Sahakian BJ. Neuroethical issues in cognitive enhancement: Modafinil as the example of a workplace drug?. Brain Neurosci Adv. 2019;3:2398212818816018. Published 2019 Feb 15. doi:10.1177/2398212818816018
- Iglseder B. Doping für das Gehirn [Doping for the brain]. Z Gerontol Geriatr. 2018;51(2):143-148. doi:10.1007/s00391-017-1351-y
- Battleday RM, Brem AK. Modafinil for cognitive neuroenhancement in healthy non-sleep-deprived subjects: A systematic review. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2015;25(11):1865-1881. doi:10.1016/j.euroneuro.2015.07.028
- Lopes E, Pereira D, da Silva Behrens NS, et al. Cataplexy as a side effect of modafinil in a patient without narcolepsy. Sleep Sci. 2014;7(1):47-49. doi:10.1016/j.slsci.2014.07.015
- Swapnajeet S, Bn S, Gourav G. Modafinil Dependence and Hypersexuality: A Case Report and Review of the Evidence. Clin Psychopharmacol Neurosci. 2016;14(4):402-404. doi:10.9758/cpn.2016.14.4.402